Sunday, January 29, 2012

Fight on SC~

Thanksgiving found us in Southern California with Tim's parents, Bailey, Clay, Cara and Andrew at Grandma and Grandpa Garlocks. The weather was beautiful and the company even more so. We enjoyed a quiet Thanksgiving with just those mentioned. We went shopping, did puzzles, hit the beach a few times, walked through downtown Disney, and the best part of all, attended my first USC football game. HOLLA! The Garlocks are serious about their SC football! Their home is decorated in Trojan clocks, statues, signs, blankets, and more. They hang a flag out for every game. Grandpa Garlock taught at USC for many years and have been a season ticket holder for even longer. My mother-in-law Judy has memories of going to the football games when she was a small child. Sitting next to her was such a treat. She informed me about the history of their many, many traditions. I could feel her love and appreciation for the team (even though she is a true blue Cougar fan). She could even chant parts of the school song. My favorite part was at every touch down the Trojan would ride around the sidelines on his white stallion horse holding his sword high! We got to see the horse a lot because the score was 50-0. Did I mention this was a rival game against the dreaded and ugly UCLA? Now, I have been to plenty of rival games between BYU and the Utes but I have never witnessed so much intensity from the fans in my life. The whole campus becomes a party place. People start the pregame tail gating well before noon when the game is at 7. Pure craziness is the only way I can describe it. We thought we were dressed up for the game with cardinal and gold shirts, but we were no match for the rest of the fans with their SC necklaces, earrings, flags, tattoos, hats, scarfs, face paint, or boots. Tim's favorite was a guy with a T-shirt on that read "My maid went to UCLA." Enough said.

If you are a true USC fan you would know that I am not flashing a peace sign.
V for VICTORY!


No comments: